Sunday, September 09, 2007

Thai-Style Halibut with Coconut-Curry

I saw Ellie Krieger make this dish on the Food Network a few months ago and it looked absolutely enticing. I love fish and I love curry. I also loved how quickly this dish came together on the show. Very little prep and everything in one pot! Below I write about my modifications since the recipe is already available online.

The dish looks better than it tastes. I thought the dish was good but it was kind of missing that "umph" I look for in great food. I'm not sure what was missing, but I just didn't feel that satisfied. I definitely preferred the salmon to the rock fish and would suggest a stronger tasting fish. Or perhaps I should have started eating the milder tasting fish and working my way up rather than the other way around!

My Modifications
-Used salmon and rock fish(bought fresh but then frozen)
-Skipped the scallions because I didn't have any
-Used Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (which is what Ellie used on the show)
-Used vegetable broth
-Used frozen chopped spinach

I followed the recipe almost exactly as described except that I added an additional 1/2 cup coconut milk after a taste test nearly took my mouth out. It was too spicy! I did not use a low sodium broth so I didn't add salt but it really did need it and I forgot to salt the fish. So add the salt. I also used frozen spinach and rather than cooking it separately and having yet another dish to wash, I just added it to the pot when the fish was nearly finished cooking. You could do this with fresh too, I'm sure! Perhaps using a little less red curry paste would help.

It is quick, easy, and decent.

6 comments:

culinaryprincess said...

The dish looks really exotic Nirmala! i love salmon, but have never used it in curry.

Anonymous said...

Well I dont even like fish and it does look good

EC said...

hi, on my maiden visit to your blog. nice one

Deborah said...

I have never used fish in a curry before. Too bad it didn't live up to your expectations - it sure does sound good!!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks yummy, and I appreciate your cooking notes. I have a can of coconut milk i have been looking for a way to use, and this just might be it!

Thanks for tagging me recently, and I apologize for the delay. I am working on the post and will let you know when it is ready!

cheerio
Andrea

Cynthia said...

That must have been disappointing. I too like fish curry, a lot :)