Friday, October 15, 2010

Golden Beet and Greens Soup | Simple Soup

I don't know about you, I grocery shop with the weather in mind and only once a week. Last time I shopped it was cool fall day. The sun was out and the air was crisp perfect for fall foods like soups, curries and Indian food, and bread making. Then the weather did a 180 and it's been 80+ degrees this whole week -- beach weather calling for salads, melons, and less cooking! Don't get me wrong, I love the heat especially since it's unusual and short lived in this area but when the heat turns up, I like to cook less. You? Isn't it funny how that happens?

I've been playing catch up with a few Sunset magazine recipes. I recommend the Oct 2009 issue (yeah, I'm really behind) of Sunset for their roasted red pepper soup, fennel apple bisque, mushrooms in sherry shallot broth, and this lovely golden beet and beet greens soup. To be fair, I was not a huge fan as much as I love beets. I grew them from seed earlier this year and will be planting them again in a few weeks for a Spring harvest. I love the sweetness and how they look when they've been roasted or steamed. But in this soup, I didn't care for the sweetness with the savory. Friends really loved the soup and I don' think they were just being nice.

I do love how quickly this recipe comes together with very few ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen. It's even quicker if you cook the beets the night before, and it's pretty to look at too.

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
- 3 large golden beets
- 1 small, thinly sliced red onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 4-5 C vegetable or chicken broth

Preparation
1. Trim stems from beets (leave 1 inch attached to beets) and cutting off leafy tops. Discard stems from tops; cut leaves crosswise into thin shreds. Note: Beet greens do not last long so if you don't plan on using greens the day you purchase beets, I recommend buying beets without the greens and substituting 4 ounces of another green like chard, spinach, kale, or your favorite green.

2. Simmer beets until tender, 35- 45 minutes, first bringing them to a boil. Drain and cool. Remove skins and stems, then cut beets thinly crosswise into circles.

3. Saute 1 small, thinly sliced red onion with minced garlic cloves in olive oil until slightly browned. Add beets and 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Stir in beet greens (or other greens) and cook until greens are wilted, about 1 minute. Add broth to soup to thin it, if you like, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

22 comments:

FOODESSA said...

Nirmala...you got me thinking of some old Sunset magazines that I've had sitting in a box since my last move...great recipes.

I've never made a soup with beets...let alone have the golden variety. Sounds soulfully yummy and soothing...great for my standing pesky cold!

Have a great weekend and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

natural selection said...

Namaste!
I'm with you on this! remember that the body and mind interact with the weather on the atomic level. Along with our memory of good food we have eaten in the past, in warm weather and hot!
I say go with the flow! excellent suggestions here!

Stella said...

Hey Nirmala, I love beets too! And what could be healthier (smile)? Well, maybe a few things, but they are really healthful.
Your soup looks wonderful. To me, there is nothing better than a brothy soup full of vegetables. Yum!
p.s. I'm going to try to bake yeast bread today in my new oven-me is scared;)

Tasha said...

I live where it's pretty hot most all of the time. I love fall & winter foods, especially soups, and will eat them regardless of temperature,even if I'm wearing shorts and a tanktop in January :)

It's a shame you weren't crazy about this soup, because it sounds yummy to me. I love beets, and I might just have to give it a try anyhow to see if I agree with your friends!

Anonymous said...

This soup looks so healthy and nourishing-yummmyyyy :)

Carol said...

Very pretty looking soup, and definitely soup weather here, but I could have soup any time, love it!

Katerina said...

The weather here is ideal for soup. I love beets and this soup looks so easy I am tempted.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I do the same when grocery shopping...

Golden beets in soup! What a great concept, I would have never thought of it!

Pam said...

I bet this would be perfect on a cold rainy day... it looks delicious.

chow and chatter said...

great and simple soup yum have a fun weekend lol Rebecca

Julie M. said...

How do golden beets compare to red beets in flavor? I'm usually not a huge beet fan, but I'll admit, your soup looks enticing! We had a streak of hot weather last week as well and it definitely takes me out of the cooking mode.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Hannah said...

I've seen golden beets on blogs but have never come across them in real life... how I wish I would! They look gorgeous! (As does your simple-yet-tasty soup!)

Rita said...

That soup sounds amazing; I do love beets, so I can just imagine how good it must be.

Ameena said...

My mom has stacks of Sunset magazines - I don't think she's thrown one out in about 10 years!

I love beets and love soup...I'm sure this is delicious!

Joanne said...

I'm only just coming around to beets but I bet I would love them in this soup! what a simple and delicious preparation!

Daisy Roshan said...

the soup sounds healthy and simple to prepare....yummy!!

From the Kitchen said...

We are beet lovers (well, not the boys) and this soup sounds delicious and looks beautiful. I used to get Sunset magazine when we lived in California. I remember it well.

Best,
Bonnie

nancy at good food matters said...

I like this recipe because it incorporates the entire beet!
I don't always use the beet greens, and they really are quite delicious. I am curious about how to better balance sweet and savory in the soup, since that didn't entirely appeal to you---perhaps some additional heat, a pinch of red pepper flakes?

Barbara said...

I love beets, Nirmala. I'm sorry the recipe didn't please you...it certainly LOOKS good.
I roast my beets...so much flavor. And also use them in salads. Might try your soup and see....

Pity said...

simple soup yet delicious and full of nutrients, well done! cheers from london

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I used to love it when my mother had a garden and would grow beets. I could have freshly pulled beets and fresh beet greens that were wonderful. I'm new to golden beets and have fallen in love, especially roasted golden beets. I've never tried making a soup with beets and I think I would enjoy this soup very much!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I got you..I don't like to cook when it's hot too!