Saturday, October 30, 2010

Potato Curry with Tomatoes

I hope everyone is getting ready for the first major holiday of 2010. Yes, Halloween counts. I'm actually going to an evening group meditation sit tomorrow so I won't get to see the cute neighborhood kids dressed up. What are you all up to?

The Indian cooking continues with oohs and aahs from the family. I'm hearing that my bread and Indian food are causing weight gain. I think it's because they are over eating. I just cook. I don't provide portion control services. That's extra!

I've been making recipes from my little Indian cook book on a weekly basis with lots of success. So far, all the recipes I've tried (all three of the 1001) have been great! Easy, tasty and complete within 45 minutes. This one too. I love the potatoes and tomatoes together. The spices are amazing together in this combination. You could use this spice combo and vary the vegetables (and the cooking times accordingly). Thus, far this has become the family and friends favorite.

Serve with your favorite Indian bread or whole wheat tortillas, like I did. I promise you yumminess.

Ingredients
- 1 lb potatoes
- 4 T oil (I use half the amount called for in recipes, otherwise it is too much!)
- 2.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 2.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2.5 tsp ground red chili
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- salt to taste
- 14 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 2/3 c water
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish

Preparation
1. Boil the potatoes in their skins then drain, peel and cut in 1/4 inch diameter. I would boil until a knife can pierce the potato easily, about 10-15 minutes.

2. Heat oil in a heavy-based pan and fry mustard seeds over medium heat until the start crackling. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds until lightly browned. Stir in the potato pieces and fry until lightly browned. Stir in the coriander, cumin, garam masala, chili, turmeric and salt.

3. Stir in tomatoes and cook until the water has been absorbed. Pour in the water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Note: I took the pictures after I followed the above recipe to a T. I found that the sauce was rather thick and a little chalky so I thinned it out with additional water, making it as saucy as I wanted, sort of medium thick. Add water to your desired consistency.

Happy Halloween!

17 comments:

Carol said...

So many flavors in your dish that I love, it looks delicious!

Have a happy Halloween!

Katerina said...

Making a meal within 45 minutes is certainly a plus if it tastes great then is a hit. I think the combo you made combines these two virtues.

Stella said...

Hey Nirmala, this looks wonderful! I wish it would get cold down here, so that I could justify making hearty dishes like this;)
Oh, and I love Indian food. I do think it causes weight gain though. Not b/c it isn't healthful, as it is so full of healthful things and therefore dense in vitamins and minerals. The oil is often higher in Indian recipes though, so I could see everyone looking a bit more cheeky lately (smile)...
Happy Halloween, Nirmala!
XO, Stella

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a lovely potato dish spiced with curry and tomatoes. I could eat a whole plate full.
Sam

Tasha said...

I agree Halloween counts as a major holiday! Myself, I will be taking one of those cute neighborhood kids out trick-or-treating :)

I am quite partial to the tomato and potato combination, and I'm sure with these other flavors as well this curry is fantastic!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

It looks very comforting!

Joanne said...

I wish my family would be as receptive to my cooking! But as soon as they see a spice or ingredient they haven't tried before, they shut down. Oh well. More for me. This looks delicious! I wouldn't ahve portion control around it either.

Ameena said...

I have never met a potato dish I don't like...and so I am printing this out for future reference. It looks delicious!!

Indian food only causes weight gain when you eat it at Indian restaurants that use 3 inches of oil! Which is every restaurant here in Los Angeles. :(

Dimah said...

It looks and sounds wonderful!

Julie M. said...

Yum! I really love indian food. Something about curry just gets me every time. This dish looks delicious! And 1001 recipes? Wow! that will definitely keep you busy and us drooling!

nancy at good food matters said...

Simple--yet complex! I think that this dish would be well enjoyed in my household. And,good that you cut back on the oil, and gave us the tip about adding extra liquid to thin it at the end. Thanks, Nirmala!

Fritos and Foie Gras said...

this looks amazing nirmala!!! YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, reminds me of home. i always make this when i can't think of anything to make and i'm always super satisfied.

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

Good God, I'd weigh 300 pounds if someone cooked like this for me. But I'd be a happy, happy 300 pounds :)

PS: We're slowly settling in. It's been challenging but I'm sure it'll resolve itself soon *fingers crossed* Thanks for asking, friend!

Karen said...

These potatoes look fantastic! I've never made potato curry...this recipe definitely makes me want to change that. I can see why everyone is over-eating with dishes like this!

Cynthia said...

Oh gosh, a plate of rice with this and I would be a happy woman.

kathie said...

This looks amazing!