Monday, April 10, 2006

Brown Rice

I used to be intimidated by brown rice. I just didn't know anything about it except that I was supposed to eat it for all of it's nutritional value. I only grew up eating basmati and jasmine rice. And from a young age, I knew how to prepare it in the rice cooker. I love rice cookers because they are so low maintenance and you're not tied to the home because they turn off automatically. But I'm not sure about cooking brown rice in a cooker? Anyway, with my time, I learned about a full proof stove top method that I of course learned from the Moosewood Collective cookbooks.

Cooking time: 25-3o minutes

Ingredients
-1 c uncooked brown rice (yields approximately 3 cups of rice)
-1 tbsp butter
-2 1/4 c water
-3/4 tsp salt

Preparation
I love this method because it's full proof and you are guaranteed perfect results. No peeking, ok?
-In a non-stick skillet, saute rice in the butter until grains are coated.
-Add water and salt, cover, and bring a boil. When you see steam escaping from the lid, you know the water is boiling.
-Turn off heat for 5 minutes. Leave skillet on burner.
-Turn heat back on low to simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes.

Let me tell you.... it is so so tempting to peek to see what's going on inside the skillet. Resist the temptation. Occupy yourself in whatever way you want but whatever you do do not uncover the skillet because you will lose the steam in which to cook the rice. And then this method falls apart. If you don't peek you will have perfect results I promise.

No comments: