Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Food Rant of the Week: Amy's Frozen Lunches and Meals

When I was working, I tried really hard to bring a homemade lunch to work every day but one day I just threw my hands up and said, "Forget about it." It was eating into my personal fun time, eating up precious mental space, and quite frankly stressful. So I was walking through the tentatively walking through the frozen food aisle at Whole Foods last year, when I noticed Amy's frozen lunches and meals. They stood out to me because some of them are made specifically for folks with wheat and gluten allergies and this is truly a rarity among frozen foods and meals. So I half-heartedly picked up a few, like Rice Mac & Cheese (made with rice flour but also available with 'regular' wheat based noodles) and Garden Vegetable Lasagna (also available in wheat and wheat-free forms). I tried them out and they were great! I couldn't believe it.

So the next week, I picked up more and noticed that Amy's frozen meal choices were increasing weekly like bunnies in the Spring time....I picked up a few vegetable and tofu rice bowls and some Indian meals. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am highly skeptical of anything Indian that is not made at home (or my 4 favorite Indian restaurants) but I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised at how good they are.

These are my favorites (not in any particular order):
-Indian Mattar Tofu
-Indian Mattar Paneer
-Indian Palak Paneer
-Brown Rice and Vegetables Bowl
-Teriyaki Bowl
-Thai Stir-Fry
-Asian Noodle Stir-Fry
-Rice Mac & Cheese
-Garden Vegetable Lasagna
-Cheese Enchiladas
-Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
-Rice Crust Cheese Pizza (so good)

And there are many more that I have yet to try. All the ingredients are healthy, wholesome and organic. Yes, they are a bit high in sodium but given that they are low in every other bad substance, what's a little salt? They also pass the "I can read and pronounce all the ingredients" test. They are also reasonably price from $2.50 to $3.99 (the pizza is $6-7). These are the next best thing to homemade.

Life has so many challenges and getting lunch together shouldn't be one of them.

No comments: