Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Better than My Pumpkin Pie," Pumpkin Pie

It was my mom's birthday on Friday, so I decided to surprise her with pumpkin pie, her favorite. So I searched online for a good filling, since I already have a great crust recipe. The recipe I found online, was not as nearly as original as I thought. I won't out the person but the pie filling recipe that I found, except for 1 ingredient, was identical to the recipe on the Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin can. The recipe on the can is excellent. It is not so sweet that it masks the taste of pumpkin and the spice ratio is just right. The only thing I did differently was that I used fresh ginger to ground ginger. In fact, I probably could have added a bit more fresh ginger than what I added.

My mom, who has really high cooking standards, said that my pie was better than even hers, which is quite the compliment.

Makes 8 servings
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
-3/4 c sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp fresh ginger
-1/4 tsp ground cloves
-2 large eggs
-1 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin
-1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
-1 pie crust recipe

Preparation
Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake in pre-heated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temp. to 350 F and bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

I baked the pie on the second shelf from the bottom (similar to how I baked the blueberry pie), but never moved it to the top shelf. After the 15 minutes, I covered the edge of the pie crust with foil to prevent further browning.

No comments: