Sunday, January 07, 2007

Homemade Hummus

There are some really great quality hummus' you can buy in your local grocery store but nothing beats making it yourself. It only takes a few minutes (with either a food processor or hand held) and the results are so much better than even the best brand. The recipe I found comes from none other than New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant.

Makes 3 to 4 servings
Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients
-1 16 oz can of garbanzo beans (drained, and saving the liquid)
-1/4 cup tahini
-1/4 to 1/2 cup garbanzo liquid
-1 to 2 cloves of garlic
-2 to 3 T of fresh lemon juice
-1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
-1/2 tsp salt

-chopped parsley

In a food processor, process garbanzo beans, ¼ cup garbanzo liquid, and lemon juice until it's roughly chopped. Then add tahini, garlic, cayenne, and salt and process until rough and creamy. You don't want to over do the processing of the hummus. Add reserve liquid to get the kind of consistency you want. Stir in chopped parsley.


Personally, all I needed was the 1/4 cup, especially if you go with an additional tablespoon of lemon. And I've tried the recipe with 2 T lemon juice and think it tastes better with 3. I like the freshness lemon brings. While the cayenne is optional, I also recommend it because it gives garbanzo beans a good quality zing.

I adore the results of this recipe.

1 comment:

Drusilla said...

Sunday must have been hummus-making day! The recipe I tried didn't work so well, so next time I'll try yours instead.