Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dutch Babies and Blueberry Compote

I read some food blogs, but have never really tried recipes from others' blogs. But I saw this recipe on Sommer's blog, a spicy perspective, and had to try it because there were so few ingredients and all were available in my fridge so it was a no brainer. Since I was hosting a special guest with a hearty appetite, I thought why not. The only thing I would change about the recipe is the amount of butter used. I used the 2T in the batter but I found that I did not need 4T to coat the cupcake bakeware, more like 2T. Also, if you do not have vanilla sugar, than add 1 tsp vanilla, keeping the sugar amount the same.

I made a very easy blueberry compote as an alternative for syrup (though they were delicious with syrup and powder sugar) that I found on the food network website, Ellie Krieger's recipe. I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was. Super easy with ingredients found at home. Could be used in oatmeal, pancakes, french toast etc. The compote is runny so I would add 1-2 tsp of flour to thicken it or cornstarch depending on what you have on hand.

Dutch babies are yummy and light. They aren't every day fare but make a wonderful weekend treat.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great, I have never made a compote before

Rita said...

Looks so good and it is blueberry season around here; easy one to try.
Rita

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

lovely recipe with nice presentation dear..! Wonderful space you have here...just drooling here...!

Diana's Cocina said...

Now this is one recipe I can't wait to try. Lovely photo!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I love compote!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I'm honored! And I'm glad you liked the dutch babies--they are a true family favorite!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Dutch baby is such a cute name. :D

redmenace said...

Blogs are such a great recipe source. Love them! Your dutch babies look really great!

Stella said...

This looks absolutely delicious, Nirmala. I think I saw this too on Sommer's blog, and I should have made it. My Cauldron Boy loves Dutch Babies.
Ooh, and your blueberry compote looks super delicious and wholesome. Yum!

Cynthia said...

I was so happy when I saw your comment! Where have you been all this time?! :)