Friday, May 12, 2006

Basic Stir Fry


If you want a quick and easy way to load up on veggies, a stir fry is definitely the way to go. This recipe is my own creation though I have been inspired by many a chef so I tip my hat to you. I like my recipe because it's simply seasoned so that the flavors of the vegetables are unmasked and shine through.

Makes 2 servings
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
-1 c (be generous) frozen multi-colored peppers
-1 c onion, chopped
-1 broccoli bunch, cut into florets
-1 tbsp canola oil
-1 tbsp soy sauce (or to taste)
-3 inch piece of ginger, chopped

Preparation
Get the rice going.

Heat oil on medium heat in large non-stick skillet. Add onions and ginger, saute until onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Cooking the onions well enhances the flavor of the onions. If you're concerned that the ginger is too much, rest assured that it is not. The flavor is just right. Add the frozen green peppers, saute for 2-3 minutes more. Add broccoli florets and mushrooms. Cover for 3 minutes. Check broccoli with knife to ensure that it is crisp-tender. Remove from heat and add soy sauce. Serve with rice.

If I had thought of it, I would have added a 1 tsp of red chili pepper flakes to the oil to give this recipe some kick. I forgot. Even without this ingredient, this stir-fry was full of flavor. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can modify it in whatever way you want. You can substitute for your favorite veggies or add more according to your own taste and preferences. I've also added tofu for a protein kick.

Our diets are very protein rich. We worry about not getting in enough when in fact we should be worried about getting too much. I recently learned that we only need 4 oz of protein per day so we're probably consuming too much of it. The general rule of thumb is that if you have protein in one of your meals, you won't need it in any other meal. Did you know that if you eat a lot of vegetables you're probably getting enough protein? Who knew? I didn't.

No comments: