Monday, May 22, 2006

Roasted Broccoli Revisited


Well, here's a picture of the roasted broccoli I wrote about a week ago or so. This time, I peeled it in the hope that this would make the stems a little less tough. Sadly, the extra effort did not help as much as I thought it would. Nevertheless, still tasty! The first time I made this (without peeling the stems), the stems didn't really turn brown, only the florets. This time the stems turned a bit brown. The brown parts are more flavorful. You can see that the florets are bit a brown though they do not taste burned at all.

Though I used slimmer florets, the broccoli still needed the full 20 minutes to soften. I didn't have to extend the cooking time to 25-30 minutes like the first time. So I guess the general rule of thumb is that the thicker the stem, the more cooking time is needed.

I should have mentioned this in my first entry but didn't. Roasted broccoli does not taste anything like steamed broccoli at all. Roasting broccoli brings out its sweetness (quite a surprise) which is a flavor you don't get when it's steamed. For those that don't care for steamed broccoli, may want to try it this way!

No comments: